Friday, February 20, 2009

Biltmore Replication Project 2007



In January 2007, I had the incredible opportunity to undertake a replication project for the Biltmore Estate here in Asheville. It was a wonderful job that challenged me, using all my textile expertise and pushed me to new levels of craftsmanship. I began in Jan. by visiting the Biltmore Estate to do a mylar tracing of an original pelmet panel in their collection. The rest of 2007 was spent using thickened MX dyes to color match cotton sateen and cotton velveteen to the original colors (photo on top), gilding a silk-linen rep weave fabric with 24 kt gold, making pattern and pattern boards, using the color coded pattern pieces to cut the original shapes from the dyed cloth and using an archival adhesive, tacking down them to a gold sateen background cloth (photo on bottom).

No comments:

Post a Comment