Friday, February 20, 2009

Biltmore Replication Project 2008




2008 was spent hand embroidering the 4 pelmet panels I am replicated for the Biltmore Estate (see last post). It was a wonderful year spent in a time warp of hand embroidery. Using red and white DMC floss and chain and couching stitches I embroidered the appliqued pieces secuely to the gold sateen backing. I modified a large quilting frame to use as an embroidery frame (middle photo) and it turned out to be exactly the size I needed. The back of the panels (bottom photo) are beautiful with a true sense of the stitches, the many many stitches that cover each 21" x 89" panel. When I embroidered I entered a time warp, living in the 21stC but embroidering at the same age old slow speed that women and men have embroidered for centuries. One can only embroider so fast and even in this century of incredible technology, and living in one of the most "advanced" societies I am embroidering at the same pace with a woman up in the Chilean Andes.

1 comment: